Sunday, January 29, 2012

Morocco trip pulled Brad Pitt from a deep depression

Brad Pitt has revealed that it took him a trip to the North African kingdom of Morocco, one of the world’s major producers and exporters of cannabis, to get rid of his deep depression marked with “smoking way too much dope.”

 While Pitt was living the brightest moments of his professional life in the 1990s with his roles in “A River Runs Through It,” “Legends of the Fall” and “Seven,” the Hollywood star was living debasing moments in his personal life. “I got really sick of myself at the end of the 1990s: I was hiding out from the celebrity thing; I was smoking way too much dope; I was sitting on the couch and just turning into a doughnut, and I really got irritated with myself,” Pitt told The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

 “I was doing the same thing every night and numbing myself to sleep – the same routine: couldn’t wait to get home and hide out. But that feeling of unease was growing and one night I just said, ‘This is a waste.’” Towards the end of the 1990s, Pitt went on a trip to Morocco, a country where one would least expect to lose addiction to cannabis. During his trip, seeing extreme poverty made the Hollywood star appreciate his life and helped him recover from his deep depression.

 “I saw poverty to an extreme I had never witnessed before, and we talked about inequality and health care, and I saw just what I felt was so unnecessary, that people should have to survive in these circumstances – and the children were inflicted with a lot of deformities, and things that could have been avoided had become their sentence. It stuck with me,” he told the magazine. “I just quit. I stopped grass then – I mean, pretty much – and decided to get off the couch.”

@alarabiya.net

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More