Monday, July 27, 2020

Just rewatched The Truman Show for the first in years, it’s one of those films where concept just stays with you forever and I’m amazed that with the modern day remake landscape of the movie/TV world that the idea hasn’t been touched since.

https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

I haven’t seen this film since I was maybe 12? But ever since seeing it I still wonder through my day to day life thinking what if? What if the people around me are just extras? Why did that person on the street stare at me? Is there millions of people around the world watching me while 8m in my room?

But while the idea definitely affected my younger self psychologically, older me decided to seek it out again and I actually forgot quite how good the movie is, the structure of the movie is the thing that stood out most. I forgot the movie is essentially two halves. The first being almost entirely just Truman in his world and the second it’s more intertwined with the puppet masters.

And the tone in which it’s all presented is just right I felt. Jim Carrey is just the right amount of crazy, cooped up but kind and sincere individual a scenario like this would create. And the cast surrounding him do a great job of acting as actors that have both do and do not love this life with him. Laura Linney in particular really surprised me with how great she was. Watching it again I kind of got the impression she hated doing the show and Truman, I think Truman even says it and is just putting on a happy face through it all.

Anyway after finishing it again I really couldn’t help but wonder how this movie has seemingly dodged the era reboots, remakes and movie based tv shows. It’s concept is basically designed for the modern era. The movie actually seemed massively ahead of its time. They mention that Truman was an unwanted pregnancy and the first legally corporately owned human, with the way the world is going that probably doesn’t look a million miles off as it did in the 90’s.

So yeah there wasn’t really a point here, just wanted to say if you haven’t seen the movie or at least for a while! Check it out!

submitted by /u/Deserana12
[link] [comments]

from Movie News and Discussion https://ift.tt/30Q8uPz
via IFTTT

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More