Monday, October 24, 2022

Cold weather travel, carry on only?

https://ift.tt/SdXMRlJ

I live in the southern US and my partner lives in Norway. I'm flying to go see him in March. (I teach and my students are on spring break then, I am aware it will not be spring in Norway.) I'm taking a combo of trains and flights there and back and I'd prefer not to be dragging a big suitcase around if I can help it. I haven't travelled internationally since I was a teen on a school trip but I do a decent amount of domestic travel.

Just because of where I live, I currently don't own many cold weather clothes (am working on purchasing some but mostly thrifting/waiting for sales). I've bought a big winter coat and boots already and don't mind that they're bulky since I can wear them on the plane. I'll be there for a week and am trying not to do laundry as partner doesn't have a clothes dryer. So:

  • Since I'm purchasing a lot of new (to me) clothes for this, what are the best packable cold weather clothes I should look out for? Thin/lightweight layers that are still warm? (Neither of us are particularly outdoorsy and don't plan on many outdoor excursions.)
  • I've thought about investing in vacuum bags as sweaters, etc are bulky. Is this a good idea? They're not something I've used before but maybe with bulkier clothes it could be worth it?
  • Any other general long flight tips? The longest flight I've been on in years has been 3 hours, and my longest flight this time will be 9 hours. The flight offers one meal, but I feel like I'll probably want additional food?
submitted by /u/StoryAlternative6476
[link] [comments]

from travel https://ift.tt/qUlM6ci
via IFTTT

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More