Monday, September 25, 2023

Can someone please explain the "sacred valley" in Peru?

https://ift.tt/br7H4WV

It gets a bit confusing because there is Cusco, Ollantaytambo & Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu) & now I am finding out Rainbow Mountain is south of Cusco, away from Machu Picchu near Checacupe?

When I look up "Sacred Valley" it seems to mix everything but I am not exactly sure what is in each town and how people typically plan their trip. I had incorrectly assumed Ollantaytambo was close to Rainbow Mountian but it's at least 3 hours away by car?

I get the impression everyone hates Aguas Calientes and tries to be there as little as possible just to visit Machu Picchu. Ollantaytambo has many activities but unsure how much there is ( Maras salt mines, Moray, and Chinchero) ? And in Cusco, what do people generally enjoy in Cusco itself?

The main problem I am finding is when I look up "top things to do in Cusco " (and for Ollantaytambo ) Macchu Picchu shows up and I am unsure if the lists are actually accurate or if they are describing a general region that contains many towns.

How much time do people spend in each place? I am not in a rush but also want to get a sense of how much there is to do in each town.

EDIT: I am seeing now in a map that there is Pisac, Urubamba , and Chinchero are "towns" and not part of Ollantaytambo but each town has its own ruins/attractions?

I'm also seeing perhaps using Urubamba and / or Cusco as a home base to do day trips near by. I was going to stay a few nights in Ollantaytambo on the train back from Machu Picchu but it seems I may only need a night there (or zero nights really) and head to Urubamba instead and use that as my actual home base, then go to Cusco, do a few day trips from there (Pisac namely) and then consider Rainbow Mountain & stay a night or two in Checacupe.

Edit #2: It seems most people recommend using Ollantaytambo as a homebase since it's more beautiful and cheaper than Urubamba. Even though logisticall Urubamba is closer to the salt mines, etc.

Thanks in advance

submitted by /u/SlowAndSteady101
[link] [comments]

from travel https://ift.tt/AtCx5Vw
via IFTTT

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More