Monday, September 4, 2023

Forgot International Drivers Permit for Spain

https://ift.tt/KSutnXg

Hey everyone! I mostly wanted to post this in hopes that this could be a few individuals Google/Reddit search results when they may be in the same situation I was in.

As the title suggests, I unfortunately forgot my international driver’s permit after I had already left for Spain. There are countless posts on Reddit, Trip Advisor, or otherwise that say something along the lines of, “You really don’t need the IDP, you’ll be fine.” There’s a handful that say you need it too, but I found very few 2023 posts, so I thought I’d share my experiences in hopes to help someone else.

First, for a US tourist, the ONLY place to get an IDP is AAA in the US (quick and easy, $20), or you can wait 5-7 weeks for them to ship it to you while you’re abroad. For myself, I was lucky to have my friend in the US use international priority shipping to get it to me in 3 days for ~$100, and it arrived the day before we needed to drive thankfully. As a tip, I highly suggest using FedEx International Priority as they offered scheduled delivery and money back guarantee if not delivered on that date (assuming customs or weather doesn’t delay the package). USPS offers a similar product with GXG, however they use FedEx to ship internationally anyways, so I suggest choosing FedEx as they will preferentially ship their mail first. I used GXG and wished I went to FedEx, it caused a bigger headache than necessary imo.

I rented through Wiber in Mallorca, so this is my personal experience, but they asked for my IDP specifically and then told me that 2-3 months ago there was a local Mallorca ordinance/law that was passed to crack down on rental companies not asking for IDPs for tourists. I don’t know how to fact check this, but I also don’t know why an employee such as this would make this up.

Thank you for reading, and I hope this may help point someone in a clearer direction in the future if they are a similar situation!

submitted by /u/Jaemillzy
[link] [comments]

from travel https://ift.tt/2EnYHeQ
via IFTTT

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More