Wednesday, March 30, 2022

living in a monastery in Nepal

https://ift.tt/yIjGWN6

Hi! So, I'm going to be in Asia from November - December this year, and I've always wanted to live in a monastery in Nepal for a while. But my schedule is a little tight, so I'm thinking of staying in a monastery for a week or two. For those of you who have stayed in a monastery before, whether it be in Nepal or somewhere else - how long do you recommend on staying? Is a week enough to immerse myself in the culture and have a good life-enhancing experience? Is two weeks enough?

Secondly, I've tried looking for monasteries to stay in for a while. I found buddhistmonasteries.org, and their retreats seem like what I'm looking for. Has anyone gone with this organization? If so, how was it?

I was initially looking into staying at the Kopan monastery, but I'm new to meditation, and their courses are minimum a month long, so I don't think that would be feasible. If anyone has any suggestions on how to stay there though, I would love to hear it.

My other option would be to stay at a monastery by teaching English to monks, which is my less preferred option as I would like a retreat experience where I fully immerse into mindfulness and meditation. But, I am open to looking into this.

Thirdly, I also want to do some hikes in Nepal. Is it possible to go on hikes on the weekends if I'm staying in a monastery or would I have to do a separate trip for hiking specifically?

If anyone has suggestions on how to stay at a monastery for 1 - 2 weeks, please let me know! I'd love to hear your experience!

submitted by /u/Psychologic-Ally
[link] [comments]

from travel https://ift.tt/l7VzAuC
via IFTTT

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More