Saturday, August 12, 2023

37 day Amtrak journey across the United States.

https://ift.tt/U56vw2c

Hey Reddit, I have an upcoming Amtrak journey next month and I am really excited about it. I would appreciate some input on my plans. After spending 2 years traveling across the continent in 2013 and 2014, I am returning to the US for the first time. During my previous journey, I explored mostly Canada and the northern parts of the US. This time, I have decided to take a southern route on Amtrak using the USA Rail Pass. Just like in 2013, I will begin my journey in New York. While the exact route is not completely finalized, I do have a rough plan for the schedule. The Rail Pass provides me with more flexibility, even though it costs $10 more than purchasing individual tickets. See the attached Image for Map and full itinerary.

Itinerary:

Flight from BER (Germany) to JFK on Norse for a very good price of 284 euros. (8h55m)

New York Brooklyn, 4 Nights, Staying at friends place

Train to Philadelphia (1h25m)

Philadelphia, 3 Nights, Staying at Hostel

Train to Washington D.C. (1h55m)

Washington D.C., 3 Nights, Staying at Hostel

Train to Charlotte (9h24m overnight)

Charlotte, 4 Nights, Staying at Hostel

Train to Savannah (1h47m)

Savannah, 3 Nights, Staying at Hostel

Greyhound bus to Atlanta (4h30m)

Atlanta, 2 Nights, Staying at Hotel

Train to New Orleans (12h54m overnight)

New Orleans, 4 Nights, Staying at Hostel

Train to Houston (9h18m)

Houston, 2 Nights, Staying at Hotel

Train to Tucson (26h25m overnight)

From Tucson 6/7 night camping trip with Friend from AZ, driving with car to Monument Valley and Grand Canyon, drops me off at Flagstaff AZ.

Train to Los Angeles (11h22m)

Los Angeles, 2/3 Nights, Staying at hostel

Train/Bus to San Francisco (10h17m)

San Francisco, 5 Nights, Staying at hostel with probably a trip to Yosemite

Fly Back to Germany on Lufthansa direct but a whopping 539$

Budget:

499$ US Rail Pass for 30 days

823$ Flights

55$ Bus Tickets

115$ Fuel

800$ - 1000$ Accommodation

1500$ Daily expenses etc. roughly 40$ a day on a 37 day trip.

Total: 3792$ and 4000$ would be my absolute max total for this.

I really wanted to include Dallas in my plans, but the train connections in the southern region are quite inconvenient, resulting in either a significant detour or an excessively long bus ride. Having endured a 68-hour Greyhound bus journey from Toronto to Edmonton before, I am adamant about avoiding bus rides lasting more than 10 hours. However, I am truly passionate about trains, cities, and architecture, all of which I anticipate encountering abundantly on this journey.

Most of my itinerary is already booked, although I have yet to outline specific activities for each destination. I am contemplating whether a few days will be sufficient for places like Atlanta and Houston. Unfortunately, the USA Rail Pass is limited to a strict 30-day duration, meaning that from the moment I depart from New York, I have precisely 30 days to reach San Francisco in time for my return flight.

If you have any insights or inquiries regarding my plans, please feel free to ask. I intend to create a post detailing the specifics of how this journey unfolds once it is completed.

submitted by /u/Upstairs-Extension-9
[link] [comments]

from travel https://ift.tt/dsU9Nhg
via IFTTT

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More